3 Signs that the March was imminent-
- When I read the “funnies” in the morning newspaper, three comics were about gun violence.
- I spied a little old lady in a puffy warm coat and expensive handbag, with her thumb out to hitch a ride on Wisconsin Avenue.
- A middle aged plus lady stood at the subway station entrance handing out brown paper bags with snacks and water bottles in them, for free.
Once there, in a crowd of all ages, mostly but not all white, strollers, kids on their parent’s shoulders, dogs, wheelchairs… wielding signs ranging from professionally printed to the cardboard of a cereal box flattened out this morning.
Signs I read at the March-
- Veterans for common sense- children over gun companies
- (In front of the White House) Finland is free without guns. And they have more gold medals.
- Politics can be different- Thoughts and Prayers (crossed out, and underneath-) Policy and Change
- A Christian for gun control- Isiah 2:4
(The famous swords into plowshares verse.)
- Be the table-flipping Jesus you wish to see in the world
(I had to look that one up. It’s Matthew 21:12 “Jesus entered the temple courts and drove out all who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves.
- It’s so bad, even introverts are here
- (around a dog’s neck:) Biscuits not bullets
- Grab ‘em by the mid-terms
- Actually, guns do kill people
And over and over,
And for the teachers-
- Pack lunch, not heat
- Guns are not school supplies
- If we expect our teachers to have guns, we should expect our Presidents to read books
- A teacher’s worst nightmare should be no lesson plans
And the dark, dark humor:
- There are better ways to reduce class size.
(Photo is of Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington D.C. March 24, 2018 Variety.)